I am sure you noticed how everything that is technology related became smaller and smaller over the years. I don’t know if you know this, but smaller devices can come to life only because scientists discover new materials that can support more functions. That means progress and should be embraced.
Take flash drives, for example. A few years back, if you could put your hands on a 4 GB flash, you were someone. They were expensive and not as accessible as they are today. Nowadays, however, you can purchase 1 TB flash for as little as 10$. How did that happen? Some people discovered a new material that could store a lot of information on as little space as before. Brilliant, right?
It seems that the keyboards got smaller as well and they call themselves mini keyboards. They are petite, they are cute, and they are a big hit with everyone. Not only because of the small design but because they can be very practical in certain situations. People use them with laptops or notebooks, but with other devices as well.
The advantages of using a mini keyboard
If you haven’t used a mini keyboard before, you are in for a treat. There are hundreds of layouts, all designed to satisfy whatever need you may have.
- Just stating the obvious here, but they are really small. I can actually call them cute without feeling girly. But their size is meant for comfort, not aspect. Not that design is something to be overlooked, but you know what I’m saying. Because the keyboard is so small, you can place it virtually anywhere. It won’t occupy a lot of space on your desk. It will provide more space for your hands and wrists. That will ensure a neutral position for optimal safety. Ergonomic design is an aspect widely taken into consideration nowadays. Ever since science discovered that posture is more important than we initially though, everything aims to support Mini keyboards make no exception.
- If the mini keyboard is wireless, you can put it almost anywhere. As long as you follow the range, you can sit with it wherever you like. You can even hold it on your lap if that’s what you like. There is no wire to tangle around the chair.
- Usually, mini keyboards have an integrated touchpad. So everything you need it’s in a single device. Which is great from so many points of view. Now, you also have a choice between keyboards with the touchpad on top or on the right side (instead of the numeric keypad). If you are a lefty, then the right side touchpad will be of no use, so a touchpad on the upper side is more comfortable to use for you. It even has a few functions you can use. You have vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling, zoom in or out, and two buttons for right and left click. But it depends on the model. Not all of them have all these features.
- If you are an individual who uses his laptop a lot, but you just can’t get in the right position for both monitor viewing and keyboarding, then a mini keyboard is what you need. Using it will give you the chance of positioning yourself far enough from the monitor so it won’t hurt your eyes. Also, in this situation, the mini keyboard will give you the ability to place yourself in an ergonomic friendly position.
- Portability is not an issue. You can take a mini keyboard anywhere with you. If you use it on your laptop, you can just carry it in the laptop bag. Storage is not an issue. But I guess you already figured that out.
How to look for the best mini keyboard
The most obvious thing, the fact that it’s small, will not be a confusing task. The other features, however, will prove to be a little more tricky. But at the end of the day, it only matters what you want and what you need. Here are the specifications that make the best mini keyboards.
- Wireless connection – it would be a shame is you chose a mini keyboard only to connect to your devices using a wire. Wireless technology is all over the place nowadays. You should take advantage of it. It will do nothing more than improving your experience.
- Layout – this is another aspect that should concern you. As I mentioned before, there are different designs, for the keys, as well as for the touchpad. The QWERTY layout is the most popular, and there are few brands that can provide a different one. So make sure to check with them first if you want something other than QWERTY. The touchpad is usually more comfortable to use on the right side, but left-handed people will have trouble using it. That is why upper touchpads are preferred. Not to mention that a top touchpad means a narrow
- Compatibility – not all mini keyboards are compatible with all operating systems. You are as aware as I am that function keys are different for Windows and Before making a purchase check to see if the mini keyboard you want is compatible with your device/devices.
- Battery life (if the mini keyboard is wireless) – I assume you don’t want to change the batteries once a couple of weeks, do you? Look for a mini keyboard that uses a small amount of energy and has an auto-sleep feature. That will keep it ‘alive’ longer. If you have the opportunity, choose a mini keyboard that has a rechargeable battery. It will be more convenient, less costly, and better for the environment.
These are general features. If you want something else, feel free to add more. You know better what you like, what are your needs and preferences.
What are the best mini keyboards?
That question is difficult to answer when there are hundreds of products available on the market. Each and every one of them comes with its advantages and disadvantages. But here are a few that made quite the impression on customers.
Aerb Wireless Mini Keyboard
Just a heads-up, all my choices are wireless. I don’t see the point of wired keyboards anymore. They are so easy to use, the cable won’t get in your way, and they look better overall. This too is wireless, it draws its power from a built-in Li-ion rechargeable battery. You will receive a USB cable that you can plug in your computer or a wall adapter. It has an auto-sleep feature that will make the keyboard turn off after 3 minutes of idleness. It does wonders for your battery life. Sometimes it’s the little things that leave a great impression.
The touchpad is high-quality and is made of a skin-friendly material. It’s durable and sweat proof. People with sweaty hands (like me) always wonder if their issue willultimately kill their touchpad. But not this time. The touchpad will remain intact.
This is a QWERTY keyboard, so if you prefer something else, you should keep looking. As far as I know, the manufacturer doesn’t provide another layout. But it’s always better to ask these questions yourself. So if you really like this model, you can email them. The mini keyboard also has function buttons such as media controlbuttons,scroll, and a trackpad.
The Aerb mini keyboard is very easy to use. No drivers are required, except for Windows 7 (you will receive the driver). You just plug in the dongle, make sure that the battery is charged, and you are all set. It’s compatible with PC, Pad, Android TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox 360, PS3, HTPC/IPTV, and many more. Doesn’t work with Fire TV, though. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Favormates Backlit Wireless Mini Keyboard
Just as the title suggests, this mini keyboard is backlit, but not as you might think. It has the latest LED backlight panel that will make seeing the keys in the dark so much easier. Comparing it to the LED Bulbs Array (which can be found in most backlit models), the former makes the lighting display softer and more natural, which means it will not hurt your eyes in any way. If you want to save battery life, you can simply turn off the backlight function by pressing FN + right corner button. Instructions are in the manual.
The overall design is attractive, and the small size will provide a comfortable experience. What this product has in addition to other mini keyboards is the two buttons at the top that replace the right and left mouse buttons. That will prove to be extremelyuseful to Android users. It’s more convenient that way. The layout of the keys is QWERTY, and you can find all sorts of function buttons, such as volume control, multi-media control, and a scrolling option.
The Favormates mini keyboard draws its energy from a built-in BL-5B battery. It’s a lithium battery with a large capacity of 300 mAh and with an MSDS certification. But the keyboard also comes with a power-saver feature. It will automatically turn off if you don’t use it for three minutes. If you want to use it again just press any key and it will turn on.
The keyboard doesn’t require an installation driver. Just insert the dangle in whichever device you want, and you are good to go. It’s compatible with PC, Pad, Google TV Box, Xbox 360, PS3, HTPC/IPTV, Smart Phone(OTG),Notebook etc. It even works on a Fire TV. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
niceEshop Mini Wireless Keyboard
The colors on this one will blow you away. When you lit it up and see the glow, you’ll say that you got it from a cartoon. But I love it. You can even change the backlight if you want. It can be blue, white, green, and red. The innovative shape makes it look elegant, and it’s actually in the same league as a real notebook touchpad. As far as design is concerned, this mini keyboard is just perfect.
The touchpad is highly sensitive, which will ensure an accurate manipulation. You don’t need to install any software in order to make it work. Just plug in the dongle on whichever device you want, and you are all set up. There is a total of 92 keys with a 360-degree flip design and QWERTY layout. Function buttons are also available. You have media control, which matters the most. You even have two buttons on the left side that replace the right and left click of a mouse. Honestly, I find it more convenient this way than to double click on the touchpad.
The maximum range is 33 feet (10 meters), which is more than enough. Most people use them either on their laptops, their TVs, or gaming consoles. I don’t think anyone would sit further than that. The lithium battery will ensure an extended usage, but the fact that you don’t have to change batteries is pretty convenient. You can just recharge it with a USB cable that will come with the package. It’s also better for the environment. Go green!
According to the manual, the niceEshop mini keyboard is compatible with PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Raspberry PI, TV Box, PS3, HTPC/IPTV, and much more. I am not going to write them all. You have to read the manual anyway. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I must admit that it was a tough call, but I will have to go with the niceEshop. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to features, but the lights on niceEshop got my attention. I love the way they glow and how I can change the color. But the quality is superior as well. I am not that shallow to choose only by design.
I can honestly say that I fell in love with these mini keyboards. When I first heard of them I knew they were small, and I read the technical specs online, but it was the moment when I held one in my hands I realized how small they really are. They are practical and will soon become a must in every house, especially with smart TVs releasing more and more features that cannot be supported by a regular remote. Just wait and see. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Best Keyboard Guide
- Life After Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
- The Idiot’s Handbook to Keypad for Ipad Revealed
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About Mini Bluetooth Keyboard Exposed
- What’s Truly Going on with Cheap Keyboards
- Secrets About Best Midi Keyboard Uncovered
- Using Computer Keyboard Price
- What You Need to Do About Wireless Keyboard for Ipad Starting in the Next Three Minutes
- The Pain of Keyboard Computer
- Top Small Keyboard Secrets
- Find Out Who is Talking About Best Ipad Keyboard and Why You Should Be Worried
- The Hidden Truth on Ipad Mini 2 Keyboard Case Uncovered
- Mini Wireless Keyboard Tips & Guide
- Best Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Fundamentals Explained
- What You Should Do About Ipad Mini 2 Keyboard Starting in the Next 4 Minutes
- The Untold Story on Ipad Keyboard Case That You Really Need to Read
- The History of Tablet with Keyboard Refuted
- The Ultimate Ipad Mini Case with Keyboard Trick
- Best Wireless Keyboard – Is it a Scam?
- Why Everybody Is Mistaken Regarding Ipad Mini 4 Keyboard Case and Why You Must Read This Document Right Now
- Top Ipad Mini 4 Keyboard Secrets
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Bluetooth Keyboard for Ipad…The Simple Truth Revealed
- Life, Death and Ipad Mini Keyboard Case
- The Lost Secret of Keyboard for Ipad Mini
- New Ideas Into Computer Keyboard Never Before Revealed
- An Unbiased Perspective on Mini Keyboard
- Top Choices of Ipad Mini Keyboard
- Using Bluetooth Keyboard
- Whispered Wireless Keyboard Secrets
- The Basics of Ipad 4 Keyboard Case
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Tablet Keyboard
- Gossip, Deception and Best Bluetooth Keyboard
- The Key to Successful Ipad Case with Keyboard
- The Importance of Bluetooth Keyboard for Tablet
- What Experts Aren’t Saying About Laptop Keyboard Price and What This Means For You